Spent Fuel form Canada?

John Harvey of McMaster University in Canada wrote:

>It is my understanding that a commercial company here in Canada imports
sources for >disposal at Chalk River. Certainly, our reactor spent fuel is
shipped to the US for >reprocessing and disposal. Albeit it with an
incredible amount of paperwork and years of >delay.

Say it ain't so!  Is it true that the US currently accepts spent fuel from
Canada for storage/reprocessing?  If so, what's the rub with jeopardizing
commercial nuclear power generation in the US because of limited on-site
storage space while waiting for the federal government to honor their
court-tested obligation to receive spent commercial fuel.  It's a shame
that we relegate politics to folks that behave like politicians.

(I think) I understand the premise of limiting the threat of nuclear
weapons proliferation and terrorism by receiving spent fuel from countries
that may have elevated security risks.  I wouldn't think Canada would fall
into that category.   If the US really does receive spent fuel from Canada,
can someone paint a clearer picture of this issue for me?

The statement above represents the opinion of the author only.

Mike Boyle, RRPT, CHP
mjboyle@dpcmail.dukepower.com