RE: Firefighters and Dosemetry in the UK.

At 09:50 AM 2/17/97 -0600, you wrote:
>We've started using EPDs with INEEL firefighters this year.  So far they
>have not had to use them in an actual accident situation.
wln@inel.gov (Wilbur l Nees)

Nevertheless this subject is really of fundamental importance,  I would like
to draw the attention  of RADSAFERS on the subject of training. Two weeks
ago the necessity of training in radiology and others  medical correlated
areas were discussed. Now, considering this subject and the above statement
of  Wilbur l Nees,I would like to remember that, Firefighter is one of most
active organization dealing with nuclear or radiological accident, and the
group suffering the worst consequences. Only to remind in Chernobyl
Firefighters were exposed to beta emitting radionuclides with tragic
consequences caused by very extensive radiation burns of the skin, affecting
over 50% of the total body surface area, and  extremely difficult to treat.
Such skin lesions  were the main cause of 26 Firefighters victims, among the
28 who died.

J. J. Rozental <josrozen@netmedia.net.il>
Consultant, Radiation Safety & Regulation
for developing country