Re: Nurses who Breast Feed

Pauline,

I assume the ward staff caring for the I-131 therapy patients wear TLDs to measure their
external radiation dose.  Do the nurses have access (on the ward) to a contamination
detector to monitor their hands after being in the patients room? I would consider
this the first step in empowering nursing staff concerned about possible
contamination.  Also, do you perform bioassays on ward staff who have been in contact
with these patients? If you have history of negative skin/clothing contamination and
bioassay results on such workers, you are in a far better position to tell them that
there should be no concern with respect to transferring radioactive
contamination to their babies via breast-feeding. Certainly a fraction of any
ingested/inhaled radioiodine will show up in the nurses thyroid gland at the end of her
shift before she goes home.

We make bioassay available to all nursing staff who wish - and after half-a dozen
negative measurements, they are usually reassured.

Karin