Re: Nurses who Breast Feed

At 10:14 AM 2/19/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Had a question posed this morning by a pregnant nurse with respect to
>Iodine-131 ablation therapy patients generally receiving >100 mCi. We
>do not allow pregnant nurses to attend these patients , however she
>wondered about attending them when breast feeding. In Nova Scotia
>female workers generally take 6 months maternity leave so this has
>not been an issue. This nurse (now in her 5th pregnancy) breast feeds
>for two years. I don't see any problem as long as she follows good
>universal precautions, but I would like to get some feedback from
>other health care institutions. Could be she wants an easy out from
>dealing with these patients!!!
>
>Pauline Jones
>pjones@kilcom1.ucis.dal.ca

Dear Mrs. Pauline Jones,

Nevertheless you asked for some feedback from other health care
institutions, I'll give my personnel opinion, as former competent authority
responsible in my country (Brazil)

Please,  GO TO
International Basic Safety Standards - IAEA I-115, ed. 1994
Conditions of Service -- Pregnant women,  page 35

1.16 A female worker should, on becoming aware that she is pregnant, notify
the employer in order that her working conditions may be modified if necessary

1.17 The notification of  pregnancy shall not be considered a reason to
exclude a female worker from work; however, the employer of a female worker
who has notified pregnancy shall adapt the working conditions in respect of
occupational
exposure so as to ensure that the embryo or foetus is afforded the same
broad level of protection as required for members of the public;

So, you are right. as you can see, specially following, as  you mention,
"good universal precautions". The good universal precautions in this case
are to ensure that the embryo or foetus is afforded the same broad level of
protection as required for members of the public.

J. J. Rozental <josrozen@netmedia.net.il>
Consultant, Radiation Safety & Regulation
for developing country
Israel