Re: Nurses who Breast Feed

At 02:18 PM 2/19/97 -0600, you wrote:
>We make bioassay available to all nursing staff who wish - and after
half-a dozen
>negative measurements, they are usually reassured.

I am reminded of a bioassay description provided by a friend who was
dosimetry manager at a Canadian nuclear power plant where iodine was an
employee concern. The site provided self-serve NaI detector/single channel
analyzer devices where a worker could just sit in a chair, move the
detector to the throat position, and push the start button (the analyzer
was set for a 1 minute count, as I recall). There was a sign by the unit
stating that any measurement below xxx counts was part of the natural
background, and a count above that value warrants a visit to HP for a
consideration of more extensive bioassay. Sounds like something simple and
easy for a mother to check herself intermittently during the breast-feeding
part of her life.

Bob Flood
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
(415) 926-3793     bflood@slac.stanford.edu
Unless otherwise noted, all opinions are mine alone.