WEB scams

     According to NPR this morning, we should be very careful about
     downloading any software from any site unless we know the site well
     and trust it completely.  Some of these programs (such as viewers
     required by some sites) can do some very bad things:
     Automatically disconnect you from your WEBserver and reconnect you
     via long distance, perhaps international.
     Invade your electronic banking software and transfer funds without
     your authorization.

     In the last few days while browsing I have encountered a few sites
     that required the download of such viewers.  I have abstained.  NPR
     tells me I was correct to do so.

     S. Julian Gibbs, DDS, PhD                           Voice 615-322-3190
     Professor of Radiology                                FAX 615-322-3764
     Vanderbilt University Medical Center
     Nashville TN 37232-2675    Internet julian.gibbs@mcmail.vanderbilt.edu