     Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 16:49:28 -0500
     From: Joyce Davis <JOYCED@DNFSB.GOV>
     Subject: Protective Clothing flammability

     . . . an employee at Oak Ridge was fatally burned while using a
     cutting torch . . . flammability of cotton and other anti-c clothing
     normally used in industrial facilities. . . Where can further
     information on this subject be found ?  It seems this issue will arise
     more and more as nuclear and radiological facilities are demolished.
     Are there standards committees wortking on such issues ? . . .

     From: Doug Turner <turners@earthlink.net> . . . . both Oyster Creek
     and TMI used a protective clothing spec that included flammability for
     cloth coveralls. . . . Welders also had to wear leathers, because
     cloth coveralls would smoulder even though they would not sustain
     combustion. . . . There was some legislation about clothing
     flammability and the industry cleaned up its act somewhat, so everyone
     may have thought the problem was solved. GPU should have the
     specifications and test results on file.

     Doug Turner <turners@earthlink.net>