Re: Protective Clothing Flammability

We provide our welders with cotton coveralls, and require additional protective
equipment based on the nature of the operation.  Long sleeves and fire
resistant welder's gloves are a standard requirement.  A fire resistant
welder's apron is required for overhead and large-scale work.  It is essential
that associated safety procedures, such as lockout/tagout and confined space
entry, be implemented as necessary.  Welding requires a hot work permit to
ensure that adequate protection is provided and maintained, although some hot
work is addressed by production procedures.  Our welding injuries (none
serious) have been the result of failure to properly use procedures and
protective equipment.

Harold Eskridge
ABB Combustion Engineering