Degree Programs

Anonymous wrote:
>In evaluating the quality of education of HP Techs, a great deal of
attention should be >given to the quality of the institution.  There are a
large number of non-residential >"educational" programs in this country
whose primary function is to imitate, at least on >a superficial level,
the legitimate educational institutions.  Their real purpose is >separate
the student from his or her money and in doing so, the inducement is some
sort >of a "degree" that can be obtained with far less effort and expense
than is necessary in
>more legitimate degree programs.

My guess is that the anonymous author graduated from one of those
"legitimate" degree
programs, unlike myself who worked 50 to 70 hours per week, found time for
family needs,
spent three years in night class to get that less legitimate degree from an
 accredited
school's non-traditional program, and (hold your breath) took advantage of
the American
Council of Education's 30 semester hour credit recommendation for the NRRPT
 credential.
The cost of the education (er, ah, degree) was around $150/semester hour.
After
reading the thoughts of "Anonymous," I now realize what a fool I have been
and that I
should regret wasting my time, effort, and money on such a crazy idea.  I
should have
known that the only way to get a real education was to quit work and attend
traditional school in the daytime. I wonder if I should return my CHP
certificate to
the ABHP since I self-studied for the exam.

Mike Boyle, RRPT, CHP
mjboyle@dpcmail.dukepower.com