Re: Degree Programs

Just to toss in my two cents worth...It is certainly nice to be able to
attend an accredited degree program full-time, if your job permits.
Unfortunately, one of the great shortcomings of our educational system is
that there is little or no provision for persons who do not meet the
traditional profile of a college student (i.e., high school to
undergraduate to Masters' to PhD, then go out and find a job).  Older
workers, who either did not take the opportunity to finish this process
in their early 20s or who (like many of us that call ourselves HPs) came
into a new field after some years in other areas, have few options.  The
video tape program through Georgia Tech is probably the most prominent
example of trying to cope with this situation, but there are other
nontraditional approaches with value and merit.  Of course, there are
also a lot of "diploma mills" out there that offer nothing more than a
piece of paper for your money, but let's not condemn all nontraditional
learning methods on the basis of several bad examples.

Mark Smith, CHP
(I got my MS from the Univ. of Tennessee through night school)