Re: Strontium Therapy on In

I would strongly advise you to survey the patient room following
I-131 inpatient therapy.  In fact, the regulations (10 CFR 35.315 a7)
require a room survey upon release of the patient.

At on institution I have worked in, the NRC was concerned that
although we had done a discharge survey of the room, our swipe
counter did not have a low enough MDA (200 dpm/100 sq cm)
 to ensure that the swipes were indeed "clean" enough to release the room to Admitting for another
patient.

Reg Guide 10.8 points out the procedure for surveying a patient room
following I-131 inpatient therapy.

Ron Amoling
RSO, Joslin Diabetes Center
amolingr@joslab.harvard.edu