Re: Strontium Therapy on In

Ron Amoling wrote:

> I would strongly advise you to survey the patient room following
> I-131 inpatient therapy.  In fact, the regulations (10 CFR 35.315 a7)
> require a room survey upon release of the patient.

10 CFR 35.315(a) states, "For each patient or human research subject
receiving radiopharmaceutical therapy AND HOSPITALIZED FOR COMPLIANCE
WITH 35.75... a licensee shall:" (7) survey the patient's room.
(emphasis added)

The subject was about precautions for in-patient radiopharmaceutical
therapies (such as Sr-89) and other radiopharmaceutical administrations
that do NOT require hospitalization for compliance with 35.75, and,
therefore, do not require surveys under 35.315.

Certainly I subscribe to performing surveys where required under
35.315.  I have spent more than one friday evening cleaning floors and
toilets to meet the release criteria.  (If anyone had told me that I
would be scrubbing toilets after graduating while I was an undergraduate
student at TAMU, I would have told them they were crazy.  I wasn't as
naive when I was in graduate school.)

--
Kent N. Lambert, CHP
lambert@allegheny.edu

My employer takes no credit for opinions
expressed by this writer.