Re: Advice to Teachers

It really depends on your locale as to whether certain "exempt"
amounts of chemical waste can go down a drain or not.

I believe any generator of hazardous waste (ie, any purchaser of
materials which produce a hazardous waste byproduct) should be
required to comply with government laws concerning their disposal.

The philosophy in most facilities that I have worked with has been
"if they can afford to purchase the materials in the first place,
they need to be able to afford to get rid of them when they're done
with them".

Sure, High Schools all across America could use a financial break,
but so could every law abiding commercial company that has waste to
get rid of.  High School is a great place to teach our future waste
generators that waste must be dealt with responsibly and that there
are costs associated with it.

Ron Amoling
Safety Operations Manager, RSO
Joslin Diabetes Center