RE: Advice to Teachers

     Regarding Brian Rees' post and response to Wes' comments:
     ------------------------------
     . . . Telling somebody that "it's OK, you can just throw it away" does
     us all a disservice in that they may be left with the impression that
     "we" have that attitude with all our materials.  A full discussion of
     options will help to educate and inform.
     Opinions are my own
     Brian Rees
     brees@lanl.gov
     ------------------------------

     Brian,

     I don't think most of us would advocate a "it's fine" demeanor.  You
     would need to address the knowledge level of the teacher, explain that
     the teacher will need to justify the action of simple discard, and
     show how and why there are exempt quantities.  Of course you can't
     leave them hanging - you'll never get asked for advice again, and
     you'll be misquoted as "regulatory officials brushed off citizens'
     concerns" in a newspaper article.

     The point I was trying to make, and I think Wes was also, is that
     accommodating concerns which may be emotionally valid but technically
     groundless can do just as much harm as ignoring the emotional
     validity.  That's the important issue in public education - striking
     the appropriate balance between acknowledging overly - concerned
     people's fears, and buying into them by acting like their concern is
     technically valid.

     V/R
     GRCicotte
     george_cicotte@health.ohio.gov