Radioactive/EPA Hazardous Liquid Waste

Good Morning RadSafers,

Over the last few years we have been striving to never create radioactive/EPA
hazardous waste (mixed waste). It is becoming increasingly difficult to do
research without creating some small amounts of mixed waste. We are wondering
what to do with hazardous waste contaminated with short-lived isotopes (125I,
32P) which we would normally place in decay-in-storage.

Does anyone out there know how the EPA regards mixed waste stored for decay for
more than 90 days? Has the EPA published any notices regarding how their
inspectors will cite mixed waste held for decay?

Carol Lentz
Parke-Davis Pharmaceutical Research
lentzc@aa.wl.com