Re: Radioactive/EPA Hazardous Liquid Waste

Hi Carol-

Absurd, isn't it?  We were cited last year by the Maine DEP
in this regard.  About ten violations.  Anyway, a written
explanation coupled with a refferal to the state Radiation
Control Program (agreement state) resolved the issue.

Almost.

We now have to label this stuff as, get this, "Radioactive
Waste, Hazardous Waste, Mixed Waste."  We decay it out, and
toss it as RCRA waste.

For C-14 and H-3 there is a deminimus activity of .05 uCi
per gram.  So _most_ of your scintillation waste can go
out as "Below Regulatory Concern" - although for some reason
that term has gone out of fashion.

Regards, I hope this helps.

John Moriarty, RSO
UMaine, Orono