Re: Microwave Heaters

>I remember that I was in a room, which was heated by infrared
>panels (?) on the wall.

Yes, I remember this. The public did not take to it because it didn't feel
right, literally.

An important point related to heating with microwaves is that most nerve
endings are near the surface of the skin, therefore we feel what is
happening in our skin more sensitively that what is happening in our
interior.

This also relates to other questions such as
1. why don't you feel an x-ray burn until it's too late?
2. why does my wife say a room is cold, when the thermometer says it is hot?

Finally I offer a cautionary tale. If Franz Schoenhofer is lost in the
Alps, and a St Bernard dog comes up with a barrel of brandy on its collar,
what should Franz do? Note that alcohol dilates the arteries, diverting
warm blood away from the brain, and to the skin, thus making the skin feel
warm. The answer is: he should feed the brandy to the dog, and hug it.

"Shlala gashle" (Zulu greeting, meaning "Stay safe")
mike (mcnaught@LANL.GOV)