Re: irradiation of fathers etc

This was a reference to the Gardner Report. The full reference is Gardner MJ
et al, Results of a case control study of leukaemia and lymphoma among young
people near Sellafield nuclear plant in West Cumbria. BMJ,300, pp429-434
(1990). The plant refered to is mainly fuel reprocessing.

Its findings caused a major furore at the time.

The relevant associations were:

Correlation                             Excess Risk
                                   Area Local

Father worked at Sellafield                  2.8  1.4
Father was radiation worker before conception          1.7  1.4
Radiiation worker at conception                   3.1  2.4
Fathers lifetime dose > 100 mSv                   6.2  8.4
Fathers dose > 10 mSv in 6 months before conception    7.2  8.2

As I said in my other post, the last correaltion is not now believed.

Roy Ryder

Daresbury Laboratory
UK