LSC Biodegradeable

     Just putting in my two cents.  I realize this comment is slightly
     off-topic, but (perhaps) of value regarding LSC users:

     I've been watching the discussion, and those who oppose use of
     biodegradeable LSC cocktails appear to have missed a minor point.  The
     term "biodegradeable" does not mean benign.  It means the chemicals
     will degrade under environmental conditions, that the components of
     the cocktail will decompose to "relatively" benign chemicals without
     having to be acidified, incinerated, etc.  However, the basis is
     (usually) that you have to expose the chemicals to light and/or air.
     I think that if you have your lab check the chemicals after they've
     had a chance to decompose, you'll find the hazardous stuff is in fact
     mostly gone.  This simply won't happen with petroleum distillates,
     etc., from which the non-biodegradeable stuff is typically made.

     V/R
     George R. Cicotte
     Health Physicist III
     Bureau of Radiation Protection