Re: UV lamps and exposure criteria (fwd)

Steve:

I would say that your calculation should be based on the (erythemally) effective
irradiance and that this shoud be measured, if possible.  Also, I have checked
my recent copies of the ACGIH TLV booklet and note that they specify a TLV of
.003 J/cm**2 = 30 J/m**2 rather than the value of 5000 J/m**2 you give.

In addition, if you consider the UV radiation to be composed of only one
wavelength (313 nm), for which the spectral relative effectiveness (SRE) is .006
as you note, I would calculate the effective irradiance to be:

     63 W/m**2 x .006 = .38 W/m**2

The allowed viewing time (without eye protection) is then:

     30 J/m**2 / .38 W/m**2 = 79 seconds

Eric Cowdrey
Department of Medical Physics
Manitoba Cancer foundation