Re: skin contamination to skin dose assessment

Radsafers-I have reposted this note due to the
listserver cutting off most of the reply message because
a sentence started with the word "From"  For those
of you who weren't interested, my apologies for the
resend...for the rest, I hope that this is of use
to you.

Best regards again.
At 01:58 PM 4/8/97 -0500, you wrote:
>How do you determine dose equivalent to the
>skin from skin contamination?  Is there a rule
>of thumb, such as X dpm is about Y mrem?
>I'm not talking about hot particles or whole
>body irradiation, but a small area say about 100
>cm^2 or less..........
>
>DHARRISON@DOE.LANL.GOV

One of the easiest ways is to use the NRC VARSKIN2
computer code.  I have also seen a good approach
that was in the May/June 1988 RPM, that was prepared
by John Flood, who was at the time with TVA.  The article
was entitled "Practical Methods for Determining Dose From
Radioactive Skin Contamination."  This article
offered means to use pancake probes in performing the
dose evaluations.  The isotope specific DCFs used in
this approach were taken from the previous version of
VARSKIN, and probably could be updated using the newer
version.  How far you take this depends on how cookbook
you want the dose evaluation to be, and how many
assumptions you can reasonably make about your
waste stream.

Best regards.

Judd M. Sills, CHP           |   Office: (619)455-2049
General Atomics, Room 01-166C|      Fax: (619)455-3181
3550 General Atomics Court   |   E-Mail:  sillsj@gat.com
San Diego, CA  92121         |