Re: The Invisible Passenger

Re Gary Schroeder's pamphlet describing the book on radiation risks, since I
have not seen the book and hence cannot speak to its content, my comments
are limited to the advertising hype.  Moreover, my comments should not be
construed as criticism of Dr. Barish, who I do not know personally, but
conclude he is a responsible and competent scientist based on his membership
in both the HPS and AAHP (he is a CHP) as well as AAPM who presumably had
nothing to do with the advertising copy.

Now, down to business: The pamphlet contains a lot of hype; there have been
a number of studies by the FAA and others regarding doses to air line flight
crews,including specific mention in both Eisenbud's book (all editions) as
well as my own.  For years, the ANS has published a fill-in-the-blank form
to determine one's individual radiation exposure that included air travel.

A glaring example of the misleading hype, is the statement

>Did you know ...
>
>Your radiation exposure doubles with every 6,500 ft. of altitude.

This may be approximately correct for cosmic radiation, but not generally
true as most of our exposure is from terrestrial sources, the exposure from
which decreases with altitude.  The exposure from internal sources (eg K-40,
H-3) does not change with altitude.

Suspect that my comments will engender some heated discussion, so I have
donned my flak vest .  .  .  Sure would like to see the book and compare its
content with the pamphlet.

Ron Kathren

 .  >Recently came across a pamphlet in the mail that will be of interest: