Re: Commisioner Dicus' Speech

Hi Wes,

Just simple facts. Needs no "analysis". Because, whether you agree with IOM or
not, at the informal communication level we know that NRC has taken serious
actions against medicine licensees, and in initiating costly regulations,
since the IOM report, with some explicit acknowledgement of "response to IOM".
Dicus essentially says it in her speech :-)

I didn't say anything, and it's irrelevant, about whether IOM "exceeded its
charter". Maybe it would be better if I say: "IOM exceeded it's charter, so
NRC is sticking it to medicine"?  :-)

I could say it "nicer". I'm fascinated at how often the facts are secondary to
sufficient whitewash (eyewash :-) of what's going on.

You don't like the characterization because you want to stick it medicine
since they are "not appropriately appreciative of regulation and compliance",
so you'ld rather characterize NRC's actions in a more positive light. It
doesn't change the actions. It's even virtually irrelevant of whether some
modicum of a beneficial action is to be gained. Since the "risks" are
virtually non-existent as measured by patients, no

While there's more "regulatory compliance work" to be gained, there isn't any
meaningful benefit to the patient or the public. The regulatory mindset of
handling inert plumbing and the luxury of shutting everything down at great
public cost is being applied to actions that respond to real people, often
without the luxury of the pretense of "regulatory certainty" the NRC pretends
to achieve in licensing and trying to regulate radiographers and power plants.

And it will only continue to further drive out nuclear medicine and its public
health benefits. That's just simple reality of the mission of radiophobia and
"protection" that is generally destroying nuclear technology contributions
(killing the goose). But at least the grave-digging is well paid (if you can
stand it).

Regards, Jim