> Von: Jason Armstrong <jarmstrong@halnet.com>
> An: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Betreff: Genie PC Question
> Datum: Donnerstag, 17. April 1997 17:08
>
> Radsafers,
>
> I recently setup a HPGe Spec system using GeniePC as the program to
perform
> gamma spectrometry analysis.  The problem that I am running into is that
> when I perform a Nuclide Identification Report of a gamma spectrum, it
will
> list activities for both energies of a nuclide.
>
> For example, Co-60 has two energies of 1173.22 keV and 1332.49 keV.
Genie
> PC will show an activity for the 1173.22 keV peak as 2.86E-1 uCi/g and
for
> 1332.49 keV as 2.855E-1 uCi/g.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix that (if there is a way)
or
> which activity do you use to make a report.  I setting up this equipment
> mostly for NORM analysis.
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Jason

Yes, I have even two suggestions, namely

1) You should consider the error of your results. A result without stating
the error is unacceptable. In my laboratory Genie PC is used and though I
do not know the details -being the head of this laboratory - I know that
Genie PC gives you at least the statistical counting error. I do not want
to discuss the question of the systematic error, because this is almost
always not taken into consideration and usually exceeds the counting error
by far. When you consider the error(s), you will find out, that the two
values you mentioned for Co-60 are really identical and there are not two
different results. I congratulate for your calibration!.

2) The second suggestion is, that you contact Canberra, because they should
give you the support even after paying for the software. In Austria support
is available.

Sorry to say, but it might be good to participate in courses on
gamma-spectrometry, because the question you put forward is really basic.

Regards, Franz