RE: rad safety office database management

I'm using an ORACLE based program that allows me to manage the isotope
inventory "live", that is the isotope user enters and deduces the amonth
of activity used. Since it is on ORACLE, PC and MAC users can have
access to it by the INTRANET and NETSCAPE.  This database, have also the
internal permit conditions and limits and the whole system verifies
against this internal permit to restrict access to unauthorized users
and unauthorized isotopes or activities. We will extend the process this
year to waste management. I wrote a paper (about this system) that will
be presented to the CRPA 97 in Victoria BC .  I'm finding the system to
be very reliable, user friendly and may, at any time, indicate the
amount of radioactivity stored in any of our 42 locations of use or
storage in the research center and WHO used it or trashed it etc. The
response to that system is very good, we hardly find any non-compliance
issues pertaining to inventory and management.

As for the management of other HP activities, I'm still on EXCEL and
ACCESS programs (dosimetry, purchases management, calibration data etc.)

Stephane Jean-Francois Phys. Eng.
RSO
Merck Frosst Canada
stephane_jeanfrancois@merck.com