Re: Frontline

     I agree very strongly with the very coherent discussion by J. J.
     Rozental.  I believe the difficulty goes beyond communication.  We
     must develop governmental and community organizations that deserve
     credibility.  Education is very difficult without concurrent growth of
     democratic institutions that go beyond majority rule.  I hope that,
     internationally, we will come to terms with this particular aspect of
     our current troubles.  There are alternatives, advantageous
     alternatives, to creating emotional issues and putting these issues to
     a popular referendum.

     Cultural change appears so difficult and costly, we tend to give up.
     For the moment, I find the management of hazards, including
     radioactivity, to be inadequate to support nuclear power in the United
     States.  Let it be made clear that it is not because nuclear
     technology is so hazardous, but because our institutions are so weak.

     Thomas Graham

     graham@ccmail.nevada.edu

     We do not have the right to shake our heads at the people who were
     freighted to the point of hysteria  and panic, when they found
     themselves helpless, facing dangers unknown to them. The fact that it
     is not possible to see, feel, hear or smell radioactivity, makes
     nuclear energy a very difficult science for the art  of
     communication...