Conspiracy to suppress the shipyard study?

Jim Muckerheide wrote:

> DOE suppressed the evidence of the Shipyard Workers Study, including
its inclusion in the IARC study; and Hanford gets $100 million on "dose
reconstruction" and "health effects research" from the release of
(8-day) I-131 designed with a "public outreach program" with the sole
purpose of promulgating public fear. After all, Hanford gets $1.5
Billion/year to "clean up" the site. They tell the Congress that they
are protecting Oregon, without pointing out that radioactivity down the
river is millions of times less than the operating site, and billions of
times less than natural radioactivity down the river.

I offer my views on why the conspiracy theory is unsupported.

1.  DOE did not suppress the shipyard study (Matanoski, G.M.  Health
Effects of Low-Level Radiation in Shipyard Workers. DOE/EV/10095T2.
Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Energy; 1991.).  All 460-some odd
pages of it are readily available from NTIS (National Technical
Information Services (NTIS), 5285 Port Royal Road, Springfield, VA
22161-0002; (703) 487-4650; Phone orders accepted (VISA/MC/AMEX);
http://www.ntis.gov/).  Scientific journals do not publish studies of
this size.  I have a copy of a memo dated October 17, 1991, from Paul
Ziemer, PhD, CHP, then Assistant Secretary of Energy for Health Safety
and Envrionment (EH-1), distributing a press release on the study to 94
people in DOE and its contractors.  This does not appear to be an
effective strategy for a cover-up.

2.  I've examined the shipyard study.  It contains much discussion of
its weaknesses.  The one really remarkable feature of the study is that
it has one of the *unhealthiest* control groups in the history of
occupational epidemiology (SMR = 1.11).  This is clearly an uncontrolled
bias.  The rest of the workers had rather ordinary healthy worker
effects (SMRs around 0.9).  The real finding of the study is not that
radiation is good for you, but that the control group was remarkably
unhealthy compared with the US population.  In general, people who are
healthy enough to work are healthier on average than all people put
together, since the latter group contains people who are not healthy
enough to work.

3.  I can't think of any outfit that would be happier than the DOE to
find *good* evidence of a threshold.  A true threshold makes many of
DOE's problems go away, including loads of costly lawsuits from
downwinders.  I personally certainly would be happy to see believable
evidence for thresholds for *all* cancers and heritable ill-health
(a.k.a. genetic effects).  In fact, I used to believe that the
well-established practical thresholds for bone cancer from radium and
liver cancer from thorotrast, and some of Otto Raabe's findings
(published in Science in 1980), actually informed us about other cancers
like thyroid, digestive, and leukemia *at low doses*.  On close
examination, I now believe those findings don't inform us about other
cancers.  And, by the way, nobody at DOE tells me what to believe.

4.  I have heard that Dr. Matanoski's explanation for not publishing the
shipyard study in the open literature is "It wasn't in the contract."
Anyone who has worked on a government contract knows that when the
funding runs out, you're on your own.  If you feel the shipyard study
should be published, why not take her explanation at face value?  You
might consider writing your Congress members and Senators to request
that funding be provided for the purpose of publishing the shipyard
study in the open literature, either by Dr. Matanoski or perhaps the
Centers for Disease Control, which now does epidemiology of DOE workers.

5.  Remember the Mancuso study of Hanford workers (Mancuso, T.F.;
Stewart, A.; Kneale, G.  Radiation Exposures of Hanford Workers Dying
from Cancer and Other Causes.  Health Physics 33(5):369-385; 1977.)?
With the help of the vast majority of epidemiologists, DOE openly spent
a lot of money and effort rebutting that poorly-designed proportional
mortality study that was (and is) mostly inconsistent with other
epidemiologic findings (the one finding that has stood up is multiple
myeloma).  Is DOE's open institutional behavior following the Mancuso
study consistent with a conspiracy to cover up a threshold?

6.  The Hanford cleanup is ultimately driven by the public, not by DOE.
Many if not most members of the public have perceptions about radiation,
and believes things about radiation, that I think no one on this
listserver agrees with.  Nonetheless, the public drives Congress, and
Congress drives DOE.

"I know no safe depository of the ultimate powers of the society but the
people themselves; and if we think them not enlightened enough to
exercise their control with a wholesome discretion, the remedy is not to
take it from them but to inform their discretion."  Thomas Jefferson,
Letter to William Charles Jarvis (Sept. 28, 1820)

I feel that the FRONTLINE show was a fine answer to Jefferson's call.
However, it is not necessary to postulate that DOE is part of a
conspiracy to explain the current situation with electricity generation
in the USA, or the absence of the problem-laden, ran-out-of-funding
shipyard study from the peer-reviewed scientific literature.

The opinions expressed above are my own, and have not been reviewed or
approved by Battelle, the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, or the
U.S. Department of Energy.

Daniel J. Strom, Ph.D., CHP
Staff Scientist
Health Protection Department K3-56