Re: No Thyroid?

I came across a similar case of a co-worker who had her thyroid surgically
removed and was then administered an ablation dose.  My understanding was
that pieces of the thyroid remained behind after surgery because it wasn't
a well-defined organ and that parts of the remainder could become
dislodged.  For several years following the removal they perform a
diagnostic exam to see if there are pieces of it still remaining. I'd be
interested in knowing if it's actually the case that there is always
thyroid tissue throughout the body.

Liz Brackett

 On Tue, 29 Apr 1997, Scott O. Schwahn wrote:

> Actually, I was surprised to hear last week that there was thyroid tissue
> throughout the body.  When radioiodine treatment was given to a co-workers
> brother for thyroid ablation, apparently, "hot spots" showed up throughout
> the body.  The physician indicated that this was actual thyroid tissue.
> Sort of like when a woman has the misfortune of developing endometriosis, it
> is actual uterus tissue spreading elsewhere in the body.  But in the case of
> thyroid tissue, it is more common.  Can anyone elaborate or correct any
> misunderstanding I may have had?
>
> Scott O. Schwahn, CHP
> Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility
> Newport News, VA
> schwahn@jlab.org

***  Elizabeth M. Brackett, CHP   ***
*** Internal Dosimetry Consultant ***