1-week RSO's -Reply

My impression is that Scott is looking at this issue in the wrong order.  There are
thousands of licensees and they all must have RSOs (or something of the sort).  In
many instances people are assigned this responsibility despite their lack of
qualifications or interest in radiation safety.  This, I see as a potential problem
although I have no data to show that people are being overexposed as a result.

The fact that some of these people have the sense of responsibility and the
management support to take a one-week  RSO course is a good thing.  As a
teacher, I would prefer to see these RSOs complete a masters degree progam or
pass the certification examinations but I know that is not about to happen.  There
is, however, some chance that these RSOs will be attracted by the Health Physics
Society's new efforts to attract them, and I believe HPS participation could improve
capabilities significantly.

If you know of an instance where someone was actually hired into an RSO position
as a result of the "credential" provided by a one-week course, I would like to hear
about it.

Charlie Willis
caw@nrc.gov