Refractory Brick Containing Thorium

April 30, 1997

The use of Thorium refractory materials is quite common. Thorium Oxide is
very heat resistant and continues to be utilized as a component of high
temperature insulators, refractory bricks, and other applications.

With respect to mixed waste concerns, it is not uncommon  for new
refractory bricks to fail TCLP for heavy metals  such as Lead. In addition,
furnace and incinerator refractories are very porous and will take up some
constituents of materials which are burned in the units. I would also
assume that incinerator refractory which had been used in an incinerator
burning P, U, or F coded wastes could be seen as a "derived from" waste and
thus become a mixed waste.

Disposal of Thoria refractory bricks with TCLP metals are not a major
disposal problem as the bricks can be crushed and stabilized to yield a
waste form which will pass the TCLP. Once stabilized, the wastes can be
disposed as radioactive waste.

With respect to the P, U, and F codes, the best answer is  to make sure
that the records do not show F, P, or U codes as being burned in any unit
with Thorium containing refractory. If the unit has burned wastes with
these waste codes, it is possible they may be disposable at Envirocare.
Envirocare may require some form of pretreatment by a TSD permitted for
mixed waste treatment before disposal.

If you need additional information or clarification, please contact me on
the net, or at work.  The real expert is my boss:

Bob Gallagher
NSSI/Recovery Services
713 641-0391