Tritium Bio Accumulation a Summary

I wish to thank all of you who provided me with
some information.  Several people were also
interested in my results.  Most of this
information has come from Paul Lavely at
Berkley to whom I owe an additional thanks.

Does Tritium Bioaccumulate:
Answer: No.  Tritium, however, has two different
biological half lives.  It is estimated that 95% to
90% (more likely 95%) of Tritium ingested into
the human body is excreted with a 10 day half
life.  The remaining percentage becomes
incorporated in to the body tissue.  This smaller
percentage has a half life of 70 days.  The next
question is what is the approprate ratio to use
for a clam?

Bottom Line:  The amount of tritium at the
receptor clam will never get above background
to the whole thing is a moot question.

Mark Winslow
US EPA - Region II
Radiation Branch