Re: Ion Exchange Columns

Gary Schroeder wrote:

> This is a question for the rad analytical community:
>
> I'm trying to locate reference methods for using ion exchange columns to
> process water samples for gamma spectroscopy analysis.  That is, sending
> large volumes (several liters) of water through a column and counting of
> the exchange resin.  The only documented reference Iocated so far has been
> in a 1963 issue of the Health Physics Journal.  The HASL manual does not
> cover this method.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> =======================
> Gary L. Schroeder
> Brookhaven National Laboratory
> Environmental Protection Office
> gs1@bnl.gov

Gary and others:
Here's some references from QUEST. I hope they help.

Health Phys Feb 1962;7(3/4):228-228
  Bourdrez J  Girault J  Wormjer G  Cohen P
TESTS CARRIED OUT ON ORGANIC CATION EXCHANGE RESINS FOR THE
DECONTAMINATION
OF AQUEOUS RADIOACTIVE EFFLUENTS.

Health Phys Jul 1964;10(7):483-493
  Gregory LP
ION EXCHANGE METHODS FOR THE ESTIMATION OF SR-90 IN RAIN, MILK AND BONE.
STRONTIUM-90*

Health Phys Nov 1964;10(11):833-836
  Ferraris MM
ION EXCHANGE METHOD FOR THE QUANTITATIVE SEPARATION OF THE ALKALINE AND
ALKALINE EARTH IONS AND ITS APPLICATION TO THE DETERMINATION OF K,
CS-137,
CA, SR-89, AND SR-90 IN MILK.
POTASSIUM* CALCIUM* CESIUM-137* STRONTIUM-89* STRONTIUM-90*

Health Phys Aug 1965;11(8):737-742
  Campbell EE  Moss WD
DETERMINATION OF PLUTONIUM IN URINE BY ANION EXCHANGE.

Health Phys Jul 1966;12(7):927-33
  Butler FE  Boulogne AR  Whitley EA
BIOASSAY AND ENVIRONMENTAL ANALYSES BY LIQUID ION EXCHANGE.

Health Phys Nov 1966;12(11):1565-70
  Jacobs DG
AN INTERPRETATION OF CATION EXCHANGE BY ALUMINA.

Health Phys Jan 1969;16(1):85-91
  Walker JP  Edmondson FL
STUDIES ON ION EXCHANGE RESINS FOR THE REMOVAL OF RADIONUCLIDES FROM
MILK.

Health Phys Jan 1971;20(1):11-21
  Iinuma TA  Izawa M  Watari K  Enomoto Y  Natsusaka N  Inaba J  Kasuga
Nagai T
APPLICATION OF METAL FERROCYANIDE-ANION EXCHANGE RESIN TO THE
ENHANCEMENT
OF ELIMINATION OF CS-137 FROM HUMAN BODY.
CESIUM-137*

Health Phys Aug 1972;23(2):244-7
  Clanet F  Ballada J  Lucas J  Gil C
DETERMINATION OF URINARY PLUTONIUM BY RADIOCHEMICAL ANALYSIS WITH ION
EXCHANGE FILTERS.
URINE*

Health Phys May 1975;28(5):605-10
  Majle T  Gorzkowski B
THE EFFECT OF STRONG CATION EXCHANGERS ON THE ENHANCEMENT OF ELIMINATION
OF
CS-137 FROM RAT.
CESIUM-137*

Health Phys June 1992;62(6 Supp):S7
  Medley DW  Kathren RL  Filipy RE  Miller AG
Diurnal variation in urinary uranium levels.
[Paper MPM]

Abstract -- Current urine sampling practices for uranium are based on
the assumption that the last voiding (evening) and the first voiding
(morning) constitute one-half the daily urinary volume and contain
one-half the total daily urinary excretion of uranium.  This
assumption was tested in nine healthy adult male volunteer subjects
by collecting and analyzing each individual void over a 3-d period.
Following wet-ashing and ion exchange, each sample was analyzed for
uranium by kinetic phosphorescence analysis.  Similar analysis was
performed on drinking water ingested by the subjects.  Preliminary
results indicate that there was no statistically significant
periodicity to urinary excretion of urine.  The quantity of uranium
excreted in the urine was more or less constant throughout the day,
tending to support the standard sampling practice.  However, the
volume of the evening-morning voids was only about 30-40% of the daily
total.  Among the controls, the urinary uranium concentrations were
1-2 orders of magnitude lower than in drinking water, suggesting that
uranium is absorbed or either retained by the body or excreted
through some other pathway.

Health Phys June 1992;62(6 Supp):S36
  Sundquist JA  Gillings JC  Sonntag TL
A bench-scale treatability study for trench water from a state-licensed
disposal area at West Valley, New York.
[Paper TPM] Strontium-90* Cesium-137* iodine-129* H-3* Hydrogen-3*

Abstract -- The New York State Energy Research and Development
Authority is funding a bench-scale treatability study of contaminated
water from a waste burial trench at the state-licensed disposal area
at the Western New York Nuclear Service Center in West Valley, NY.
The trench was used to dispose of low-level radioactive waste from
nuclear power plants and medical, research, industrial, government,
and educational facilities.  The water contains both radionuclides,
such as Sr-90, Cs-137, I-129 and tritium, and organic chemicals in
concentrations exceeding applicable state discharge criteria.  The
objective of the bench-scale study is to test treatment methods and
identify effective treatment alternatives to remove or reduce the
radioactive contaminants and the organic chemicals, with primary
consideration being given to treatment of those compounds
contributing to the biological oxygen demand (BOD).  This presentation
will focus on the observed effectiveness of various treatment methods
including carbon adsorption, UV/oxidation, biological treatment, and
evaporation for the organic compounds, and ion exchange tests for
radionuclide removal.  The administrative, logistical, and health and
safety considerations involved in setting up this type of bench-scale
study will also be discussed.

Health Phys June 1992;62(6 Supp):S48
  McInroy JF  Gonzales ER  Miglio JJ
Distribution of thorium isotopes in the soft tissues and skeleton of a
deceased thorotrast patient.

[Paper WPM] Thorium-232* Radium-228* Thorium 228* Thorium-230*

Abstract -- The whole body of an individual injected 37 y prior to her
death with Thorotrast was analyzed for Th-232, Ra-228, Th-228, and
Th- 230.  Measurement of these isotopes in all tissues of the body
will provide data necessary for calculating the radiation dose to
individual tissues and to evaluate the risk potential associated with
deposition of thorium and progeny in humans.  The tissues were ashed,
dissolved in acid, and the thorium isolated by ion exchange and
electrodeposition.  The thorium activity was measured by alpha
spectrometry.  The 228Ra was measured by measuring the 0.991-MeV
gamma rays associated with the 228Ac daughter.  It was estimated that
almost all of the 232Th from the original injection was retained in
the body, mostly in the tissues of the  reticuloendothelial system.  A
total of 28 kBq (0.76 microCi) of 232Th was measured in the soft tissues
and bones.  The body also contained 13 kBq 228Ra, 12 kBq 228Th, and
3.9 kBq 230Th.  A Thorotrastoma contained about 3.5% of the total
activity.  Excluding the Thorotrastoma, approximately 45% of all the
activity (232Th, 228Ra, 228Th, and 230Th) was retained in the liver,
13% in the spleen, 2% in muscle, 1% in skin, slightly less than 1% in
the respiratory tract, 4% in all other soft tissues, and 33% in the
skeleton (bone and bone marrow).  Highest concentrations were found in
the hepatic (and other abdominal) lymph nodes, spleen, hilar lymph
nodes, liver, trachea, and bone.  Approximately 60% of the 228Ra
formed from the decay of the 232Th had been excreted from the body.
The 228Ra and 228Th were in approximate equilibrium throughout the
body.

Health Phys July 1992;63(1):54-71
  McInroy JF  Gonzales ER  Miglio JJ
Measurement of thorium isotopes and Ra-228 in soft tissues and bones of
deceased thorotrast patient.
workshop* proceedings* Radium-228* Thorium-230* Thorium-232*
Thorium-228*
Actinium-228* See Errata 63(5):604*

Abstract -- The whole body of an individual injected with Thorotrast
36 y prior to her death was analyzed for Th-232, Ra-228, Th-228, and
Th-230.  Measurement of these isotopes in all tissues of the body will
provide data necessary to calculate the radiation dose to individual
tissues and to evaluate the risk potential associated with deposition
of thorium and progeny in humans.  The tissues were ashed, dissolved
in acid, and the thorium isolated by ion exchange and
electrodeposition.  The thorium activity was measured by alpha
spectrometry.  The Ra-228 was determined by measuring the 0.991-MeV
gamma rays associated with decay of the Ac-228 daughter.  It was
estimated that almost all of the Th-232 from the original injection
was retained in the body, mostly in the tissues of the
reticuloendothelial system.  A total of 28 kBq (0.76 microCi) of
Th-232 was measured in the soft tissues and bones.  The body also
contained 13 kBq Ra-228, 12 kBq Th-228, and 3.9 kBq Th-230. A
Thorotrastoma contained about 3.5% of the total activity.  Excluding
the Thorotrastoma, approximately 45% of all the activity (Th-232,
Ra-228, Th-228, and Th-230) was retained in the liver, 13% in the
spleen, 2% in muscle, 1% in skin, slightly less than 1% in the
respiratory tract, 4% in all other soft tissues, and 33% in the
skeleton (bone and bone marrow).  Sixty to 80% of the thorium activity
in bones containing red marrow was located in the marrow.  Bones
containing yellow marrow had less than 40% of the thorium activity in

the marrow.  Highest concentrations were found in the hepatic and
other abdominal lymph nodes, spleen, hilar lymph nodes, liver,
trachea, and bone.  Approximately 60% of the Ra-228 formed from the
decay of the Th-232 had been excreted from the body.  The Ra-228 and
Th-228 were in approximate equilibrium throughout the body.

Health Phys June 1994;66(6 Supp):S92
  May RT  Schwahn SO  Welch KB  Dotson D
Use of in situ gamma spectroscopy for activation products at CEBAF.
WPM*

Abstract -- The use of in situ gamma spectroscopy was explored for
determining radionuclide inventory in beam dump cooling water systems.
Inventory of certain radionuclides in ion exchange
media, measured after shutdown, was compared to the projected inventory.
Photon fluence from cooling water piping during operation was
calculated.
Both were used to verify computer modeling
of electron beam power deposited in cooling water. In situ gamma
spectroscopy was also used as a tool in determining specific activity in
key accelerator components, in bulk activated materials,
and in shielding. The specific activity of accelerator components
governs
the level of radiological measures for disassembly, reprocessing or
refurbishment, reuse, and disposal. A high purity
germanium detector and portable multichannel analyzer was used for data
collection. Methods of analysis of spectral data and minimum detectable
activity for several geometries are discussed
for a range of materials. Possible use for real-time estimates of
groundwater activation is explored.

Health Phys Dec 1994;67(6):641-649
  Fukui M
Radiological Implications of Readings with a NaI(Tl) Monitor Set on an
Ion
Exchange Resin Column for Purifying Primary Coolant Water.
Sodium-24*

Abstract -- Changes in readings of a NaI(Tl) monitor set on the surface
of
an ion exchange resin column used to purify primary coolant water at the
Kyoto University Research Reactor were
examined with mathematical models to clarify the radiological meanings.
The
concentration distributions of the nuclides in the interstitial water of
the resin bed and those adsorbed on the resins
were determined by use of the dispersion-convection theory coupled with
the
linear isotherm adsorption relation. The adsorbed amount that was
assessed
by this model was theoretically related
to that made by a compartmental model. The buildup concentrations of
nuclides in the core water and the decreased accompanying power
operation
and shut-down were modeled using the value
representing the cleanup rate by the purification circuit. The values of
this parameter were determined by the least squares method for observed
concentrations of Na-24, a major radionuclide
in the core water. Recognizing that the adsorption band had remained
within
the top 10 cm during the circulation of water through the column, the
change in the amount of radionuclide adsorbed
on the resin was calculated using a compartmental model. The amount of
radionuclide adsorbed on the resin predicted by the model agreed well
with
the readings of the NaI(Tl) monitor. Factors
that affect the reading are discussed in relation to early detection
offuel defects.

Health Phys April 1995;68(4):585-589
  Reboul SH  Fjeld RA
Potential Effects of Surface Water Components on Actinide Determinations
Conducted by Ion Chromatography.
[Note]

Abstract -- An elution program for separating actinides (thorium,
uranium,
neptunium, plutonium, americium, and curium) on low hydrophobicity
ion exchange columns was evaluated for solutions spiked with actinides
and
common surface water components. Potential interferences from
dissolved ions (Na+, K+, Ca2+, Cl-, and SO(4)2-), humic acid, and radium
were investigated. Sulfate levels greater than 0.25 micromol interfered
with separation of americium, curium, and plutonium. Humic acid levels
above 100 microg produced distinct widening of actinide peaks and
reduced actinide recoveries. These interferences limit the range of
useful
sample volumes and create a need for sample pretreatment procedures.
No interferences were produced by 0.025 to 2.5 micromol Ca2+, 0.045 to
4.5
micromol Na+, 0.015 to 1.5 micromol K+, and 0.025 to 4.5
micromol Cl-. In the absence of interferences, the program effectively
separated radium from the actinides.

Health Phys June 1995;68(6 Supp):S2-S3
  Lazo EN
The international system on occupational exposure, ISOE: status and
results
for 1994.

Abstract -- In 1992 the OECD Nuclear Energy Agency initiated a program
facilitate the global
exchange of dose reduction data and information
among nuclear power plants and to open additional channels of
communication
among national regulatory authorities and nuclear power plants.
This program, the International System on Occupational Exposure, ISOE,
has
now been operating for over three years and has successfully
contributed to dose reduction around the world. Currently, over 300
nuclear
power plants (70% of the operating power plants in the world),
representing 50 utilities in 16 countries, actively participate in ISOE
making it the one of the largest occupational exposure data bases in the
world.
National regulatory authorities from 11 countries also participate. The
two
functions of ISOE, that of an occupational exposure/plant ALARA
program data base and that of a communications network, complement each
other such that data analyses and information exchanges are rapid
and efficient. This presentation will discuss the current status of ISOE
and some recent work performed using the system. Using the database,
occupational exposure trends (by plant, country, type of reactor, age of
reactor, total annual dose, outage dose, dose per outage task, etc.) are
studied each year and the results are published as an ISOE Annual
Report.
Special studies are also performed. For example, a series of case
studies
provided by various participating utilities is being examined to try to
extract generic methods for the quantification of the effects of ALARA
initiatives on occupational exposure, outage length, and outage cost.
These
techniques can then be used to aid in justifying ALARA expenditures
to plant managers. In December 1994, an ISOE Topical Session discussed
in
detail the subjects of fuel failure and steam generator replacement.
A study of annual exposures at reactors definitively shut down or in
decommissioning is also currently under way.

Health Phys June 1995;68(6 Supp):S98-S99
  Lazo EN
International nuclear emergency exercises sponsored by the OECD Nuclear
Energy Agency: Inex 1 and Inex 2.

Abstract -- Since the early 1980's the OECD Nuclear Energy Agency (NEA)
has
been involved in the area nuclear emergency preparedness and
management. As part of this work, in 1993 the NEA sponsored the first
International Nuclear Emergency Exercise, INEX 1. The objectives of
this table-top exercise were to contribute to the identification of
those
aspects of off-site emergency response which involve neighboring
countries
and international organizations and which would benefit from improved
international co-operation and co-ordination, and to contribute to
increasedunderstanding between participating countries regarding
national approaches
to nuclear emergency response. National authorities from 16 countries
participated in the exercise, including authorities from 14 NEA member
countries, the Ukraine, and Rumania. This paper will discuss the results
of, and conclusions and recommendations from, INEX 1. Based on the
recommendations from INEX 1, the NEA is now in the process of planning
INEX 2. This second exercise will be a series of regional command-post
exercises, each carried out simultaneously in all participating
countries.
Real-time decision making, data and information exchange, and public
information will be the areas most stressed by the exercise. INEX 2 will
be carried out during 1996 and 1997. Plans and preparations for this
exercise will also be discussed, as well as other current NEA work in
the
area of nuclear emergency preparedness and management.

Rad Prot Dos 1983;4(3-4):201-204
  Szarska St.  Magierski W
Investigation of the ee from the glass surface obtained by ion exchange.
osee* exoelectron* silicate* silver* potassium* planar* waveguides*

J Rad Prot Autumn 1981;1(3):27-32
  Ballard PJ
The Calibration of Health Physics Contamination Instruments and the Use
of
Thin Ion Exchange Resin Membranes to Produce Large Area Radioactive
Sources.
monitors* standard* traceability*

Radioact Radchem 1992;3(4):42-45
  Lisic EC  Callahan AP  Mirzadeh S  Knapp Jr FF
The "Tandem" Tungsten-188 / Rhenium-188 Perrhenate/Perrhenic Acid
Generator
System.
[Extended Abstract] W-188* radiopharmaceutical*

Abstract -- To overcome the problem of low specific volume of Re-188
solutions from the alumina-based W-188 /Re-188 generator, we have
developed two prototypes of a new tandem generator/ion exchange system
to produce small volumes of carrier-free Re-188 in the form of
perrhenic acid.

Radioact Radchem 1994;5(3):18-21
  Totura G
Uranium Removal from Nuclear Fuel Processor Wastewater by Specialty Ion
Exchange.

Abstract -- A southeastern United States nuclear fuel processor faced
the
need to significantly lower the concentration of alpha-emitting species
in its wastewater to comply with new environmental restrictions.
Ion-exchange technology, widely used in the water treatment industry,
was
investigated to determine potential use. A specialty ion-exchange resin
developed by Eichrom Industries, Inc. was demonstrated during in-plant
pilot testing to achieve the removal required to produce compliance.

IAEA 1985
  IAEA
IAEA-TECDOC-337, Inorganic Ion Exchanges and Adsorbents for Chemical
Processing in the Nuclear Fuel Cycle (Proceedings of a Technical
Committee
Meeting, Vienna, 12-15 June 1984).

IAEA 1986
  IAEA
IAEA-TECDOC-365, Ion Exchange Technology in the Nuclear Fuel Cycle.

IAEA 1993
  IAEA
TECDOC-689, Treatment and conditioning of spent ion exchange resins from
research reactors, precipitation sludges and other radioactive
concentrates. CM May 92.

HPSNews June 1993;21(6):14
  Halsey R
[Chapter and Branch News]:East Tennessee - Russian, Ukrainian Scientists
Meet with Western Experts for Information Exchange

BioAssayAChem Oct 1-2 1959;5:78-80
  Farabee LB
THE REMOVAL OF ALPHA CONTAMINATION FROM LANTHANUM BY ION EXCHANGE

BioAssayAChem Oct 10-11 1963;9:37-52
  Campbell EE  Moss WD
DETERMINATION OF PLUTONIUM IN URINE BY ANION EXCHANGE

BioAssayAChem Oct 10-11 1963;9:233
  Butler FE
DETERMINATION OF ACTINIDES BY URINE BY LIQUID ION EXCHANGE

BioAssayAChem Oct 7-8 1965;11:1-19
  Henley LC
URINALYSIS BY ION EXCHANGE

BioAssayAChem Sept 24-25 1974;20:7
  Oldham RD  Larsen RP
ANION EXCHANGE SEPARATION OF PLUTONIUM IN HYDROCHLORIC-HYDROCHROMIC ACID
MEDIA

BioAssayAChem Oct 8-9 1975;21:27
  Henley LC
SEPARATION AND RECOVERY OF TRI-VALENT ACTINIDES, PLUTONIUM (IV), AND
URANIUM (VI) AS PHOSPHATE COMPLEXES ON AN ANION EXCHANGE COLUMN

BioAssayAChem Oct 7-9 1981;27:
  Henley LC
A QUANTITATIVE RADIOCHEMICAL TECHNIQUE FOR COLLECTION AND DETERMINATION
OF
VERY LOW LEVELS OF ACTINIDE ELEMENTS BY ANION EXCHANGE

BioAssayAChem Oct 10-12 1984;30:
  Polzer WL  Essington EH
A MODIFIED FREUNDLICH ADSORPTION EQUATION FOR MODELING OF ION EXCHANGE
REACTIONS IN SOILS

BioAssayAChem Oct 8-10 1985;31:
  Adamic ML  Anderson MD
DETERMINATION OF C-14 IN ION EXCHANGE RESINS
Carbon-14*

BioAssayAChem Oct 6-8 1987;33:
  Gonzales BD  Thein M  Bogard JS
RADIOSTRONTIUM ANALYSIS IN URINE: ION EXCHANGE VS. PRECIPITATION
TECHNIQUE

BioAssayAChem Oct 6-8 1987;33:
  Sill DS
DETERMINATION OF ACTINIDES IN SOIL BY ALPHA SPECTROMETRY WITHOUT
EXTRACTION, ION EXCHANGE, OR ELECTRODEPOSITION

--
Wade

mailto:hwade@triax.com

H.Wade Patterson