RE: New Jersey school incident

There are many public forums whereby the public is provided
"positive, but accurate" information regarding radiation and
associated risks. This has been provided by the HPS, by most nuclear
utilities  (with visitor centers and community speaker bureaus).

The PBS series was a positive step in relaying information to the
public. The result? Those that were negative were furious that there
was a biased presentation. Of course, if the program were a typical
anti-nuclear program, the negative responses would have been HIGHLY
positive.

The key to building support for nuclear programs begins with the
pre-schoolers and working our way up to the higher grades. We can not
start with the adult population, for their minds and psyches and
paradigms are already established, for the most part. We're not going
to win converts in the adult population. The key is the youngest
population. That means, we have many years before we will see any
positive change in the attitude trend. This is unfortunate.

This will not turn around quickly. It is a process that will take
years. This is analogous to changing from large cars to smaller, fuel
efficient cars. Don't expect a significant change soon. I am not
saying that we shouldn't do more public education, for it is
definitely needed. I am only saying, let's focus our efforts where
the most good will take place, in the shortest period of time. As we
heard in a recent political campaign .. modified a bit, "It's the
kids, stupid"

------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director
ICN Dosimetry Division
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Office: (800) 548-5100 x2306
Fax:    (714) 668-3149

mailto:sandyfl@ix.netcom.com
mailto:sperle@icnpharm.com

Personal Homepages:
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/1205 (primary)
http://www.netcom.com/~sandyfl/home.html (secondary)

"The object of opening the mind as of opening
the mouth is to close it again on something solid"
              - G. K. Chesterton -