re: Kids, Radiation and Science

The question arose as to how to gain entry into schools to provide lessons
on radiation.  I think a larger question might be what opposition will you
get when you try to gain entry.  Radiation is such a hot-button that just
the attempt to discuss radiation as not necessarily deadly will bring out
many parents who believe that you're trying to push a nuclear agenda.  I
was very surprised when I was doing volunteer science teaching in my
child's school when I said I would do a class on evolution.  The teacher's
eyes grew big and said "oh, just what I need this time of year, to get
those parents on my back."  We did it anyway but this is the atmosphere for
which one has to be prepared.

Note: opinions expressed here are barely even mine let alone that of my
employer.
Shelly Rosenblum
EPA / Region 9
rosenblum.shelly@epamail.epa.gov