Re: High localised skin doses in interventional radiology

In <ECS9705120923A@sghms.ac.uk>, on 05/12/97
   at 03:35 AM, tony cotterill <cotteril@sghms.ac.uk> said:

>The increased use and complexity of interventional radiology is, in  our
>case at least, causing some concern about possible high localised  skin
>doses. We are particularly concerned that doses may, in a few  cases, be
>approaching levels high enough to give rise to deterministic  effects
>such as erythema. This concern arises primarily out of a lack  of local

This is not just a hypothetical possibility.  At the NCRP meeting several
years ago a speaker commented on the use of higher dose xray units  for
flouroscopy during operations, and the not rare occurrence of erythema as
a results of excessive use of the high intensity mode of these units.  On
the other hand these are usually lifesaving operations so I would presume
the main concern is simply the clinical complications to patient recovery.
--
the above are the personal musing of the author,
and do not represent any past, current, or future