rad leak in upstate NY? -Reply

** High Priority **

Your friend appears to be recalling  the Love Canal incident several years
back near Buffalo where much of the community was relocated because
toxic waste from a Hooker Chemical burial site was leaching right into
people's basements, etc. It was a real-life horror story.

Also, you may want to think about your "no leak or release" statement
about TMI. I seem to remember hearing and reading about quite a lot of
noble gases being released from the site during and after the incident. I
can't recall anything specific about halogens but I'm sure someone out
there knows a lot more than me about it. (I was one of the few HP's in the
industry at the time who DID NOT go there. Never quite figured out if that
was good or bad for me.)

David J. (DJ) Richards
Project Manager
Radiological Services, Inc.
richardd@myapc.com
djr@javanet.com

>>> Jeff Eichorst <u112237@lanl.gov> 05/12/97 09:38am >>>
Radsafers,
I had the opportunity to talk with a fellow Santa Fean and help alleviate his
concerns about living so close to Los Alamos.  For the most part, I think I
was successful at developing a report with him.

During the discussion he wanted to ask about the "leak from Three Mile
Island".  I explained that TMI did not have a leak or release.  He felt he
was confusing TMI with a place in upstate New York.  He seemed to
recall a place that experienced some sort of radioactive leak, some time
ago, which led to many people leaving home.  After some reclamation
work, people are now moving back.  He did not know if this was a
nuclear power plant, or what.  Obviously, since I don't have a clue what
he's talking about, I could not talk intelligently about it.  Can anyone tell me
what he is talking about, or has he been reading Mother Jones too much?

Thanks
Jeff Eichorst
Occurrence Investigator
Los Alamos National Laboratory
ESH-7, MS K999, Los Alamos, NM 87545
505.665-6980		505.665-6977 fax
505.996-1117 digital pager,	jeichorst@lanl.gov

There are two kinds of men who never amount to much: those who
cannot do  what they are told, and those who can do nothing else.
-Cyrus Curtis