Re: rad leak in upstate NY? Iodine release

Mike,
This came from the NRC web pages:

In some ways, the TMI accident produced reassuring, or at least encouraging,
information for reactor experts about the design and operation of the safety
systems in a large nuclear plant. Despite the substantial degree of core
melting that occurred, containment was not breached. From all indications,
the amount of radioactivity released into the environment as a result of the
accident was very low. One estimate suggested that of 66 million curies of
iodine-131 in the reactor at the time of the accident, only 14 or 15 curies
escaped. Further, the emergency core cooling systems worked effectively once
plant operators allowed them to run according to design.

At 12:12 PM 5/12/97 -0500, you wrote:
>> ... and radioiodine releases (predominantly I-131) of about 12 Ci.
>
>Are you sure about the I-131? A large amount of I-131 was released at
>Chernobyl, but I believe this was not the major radionuclide released at
>TMI.
>
>"Shlala gashle" (Zulu greeting, meaning "Stay safe")
>mike (mcnaught@LANL.GOV)

Jeff Eichorst
Occurrence Investigator
Los Alamos National Laboratory
ESH-7, MS K999, Los Alamos, NM 87545
505.665-6980		505.665-6977 fax
505.996-1117 digital pager,	jeichorst@lanl.gov

There are two kinds of men who never amount to much: those who cannot do
what they are told, and those who can do nothing else. -Cyrus Curtis