S-35 volatility

Lost the original post, so....

Since it doesn't seem"unreasonable", as in the ALARA concept, we
require that any opening of stock solution or thawing of labeled
samples be done in a fume hood.

We also require that any incubation of labeled material at 37 degrees
centigrade be performed with a trap.  Again, not unreasonable.  One
of the main reasons for this is the tendency of S-35 to transfer to
the interior surfaces of the incubator at levels far higher than our
contamination limit of 100 dpm per 100 square centimeters, as proven
by numerous surveys.  Also the condensate in the water pan can and
will become contaminated above release limits.  This may routinely be
emptied down the drain if investigators are not warned of the problem.

As an aside, contamination of surfaces and condensate does not occur
every time when not trapped.  Why?  I don't know.  Perhaps others can
help.

On another front.....Is your house vacuum system being contaminated
with some of the "longer lived" radioisotopes such as H-3, C-14, I-
125?  Are surveys being performed when maintenance and/or repairs
must be done on the system?  I have found several investigators using
the house system on the bench over the years.

George Rawls
University of Florida
grawls@pliny.ehs.ufl.edu

George Rawls