Fwd: High Dose Fluoroscopy

Dear Medical Physicsts
I am giving a talk to the Japanese Interventional Radiologists(Himeji,Japan)
in two weeks.  Thought I would get an update on what others are doing with
High Dose Fluoroscopy.  If you think others would benefit from your comments,
respond to the Medphys server; otherwise send a comment to my email
(payne@allina.com).

1. Does your institution have a formal High Dose Fluoroscopy Policy (e.g.
action levels to prevent skin injury, oversight process,
credentialling,etc.)?  What do you do?

2. Do you have radiation measuring devices (Dose Area Product meters)
attached to your fluoroscopes?  What action levels have been established?
 Are the vascular laboratory personnel comfortable with the system?

3. If you do not have a DAP meter, do you have a radiation dose calculation
system interfaced to the fluoroscope (e.g. Pemnet type system)?

4. Do you think Dose Area Product meters should be REQUIRED on all
fluorosopes?

5. Should skin entrance dose be determined for all fluoroscopy cases with
action levels to prevent skin injury?

6. How does your institution monitor or review patients who have repeated
procedures to the same area(sometimes at different institutions - e.g.
multiple angioplasties over a 2-4 week time period where the cummulative
radiation dose can exceed 10 Gray)?

Thanks

Tom Payne
Tom Payne, PhD