Fwd: High Dose Fluoroscopy

---------------------
Forwarded message:
From:	joelgray@M3.SPRYNET.COM (Joel E. Gray)
Sender:	medphys@LISTS.WAYNE.EDU (Medical Physics Listserver)
Reply-to:	joelgray@sprynet.com
To:	MEDPHYS@LISTS.WAYNE.EDU (Multiple recipients of list MEDPHYS)
Date: 97-05-27 12:10:53 EDT

Tom,

I posted a question to the MEDPHSY Listserver a couple of months ago
asking about fluoro policies.  I received nothing!!  If you do hear of
any please let me know as I am drafting something for the ACR as a
"model policy".

1.  We have no formal policy but we do monitor fluoro exposure times in
all areas except radiology fluoro.  We monitor mobile C-arms,
cardiology, interventional radiology, etc.

2.  In Cardiology and some areas of radiology we have the PEMNET system.
No action levels have been established.  Comfort level?  Techs are the
major problem in not entering appropriate data.  Staff seem to accept
them but some of the cardiologists are paranoid about the data getting
out of their department!

3.  I would never but a DAP meter!!  I don't know what DAP means, nor
does anyone else in radiology.  By the way, RMI has a DAP meter that
provides exposure measurements at a point in addition to DAP.

4.  NO!! DAP should not be required but some method of monitoring should
be required for all fluoro other than conventional GI fluoro.

5.  NO!! not all procedures, just those for which there is a potential,
i.e., interventional, cardiac, mobile.

6.  There is no review, and no one checks the patients afterwards to see
if there is any erythema!

          Joel

***Please note my new e-mail address-- joelgray@sprynet.com***

___