long range alpha detection

Radsafers,
	My department has been approached by a California based company seeking to
develop an alpha monitoring system using long range alpha detection
techniques (via secondary air ionization).  We are somewhat unfamilar with
this "new" detection methodology and are seeking information concerning its
application.  We are aware of an Eberline instrument (the LRAD) which uses
this detection scheme, but have no first-hand knowledge of its pros and
cons.  Our initial concerns are MDA, calibration, efficiency, geometry
corrections, response in a mixed field (alpha with beta/gamma), etc.
	Does anyone work with or use this technology, and if so, what can you tell
me about it?  Any information will be appreciated.  Please respond either
directly or via RADSAFE.

Kelly

Kelly Ausbrooks
LMES-Paducah Radiation Protection
(502)441-5123 - office
(502)441-5042 - fax
email - AusbrooksKL@ORNL.GOV

The content of this message has not been reviewed or endorsed by
my employer.