Re: Autoclaving I-125 waste

We have always followed a policy to NOT autoclave I-125 contaminated
waste.  I have, however seen products and devices designed to "filter" or
"trap" the volatile radioiodine as heated air escapes the bag during
autoclaving. We have never used such devices, so I am not sure what
their effectiveness is.

Our preferred method is to inactivate the biowaste chemically.
Another note - bleach is not appropriate for  chemical inactivation
as I believe it can also release some radioiodine.  Use another
commercially available disinfectant such as Wescodyne, etc.

Ron Amoling
Safety Operations Manager/RSO
Joslin Diabetes Center
amolingr@joslab.harvard.edu