Re: Documentation of training for ancillary personnel

At 11:13 AM 6/10/97 -0500, you wrote:
>>The highest level would be to test after
>>training to document that each person understands what to do.
>>  My goal is to ensure adequate training and documentation without going to
>>overkill. I'd appreciate comments on what you might be doing in this area.
>
>In the DOE world, 10CFR835.901 requires an examination for everyone who is
>permitted unescorted access into a Controlled Area.

Experience in nuclear power and the DOE environment tells me that testing
is necessary as the only lasting record that the trainee demonstrated some
degree of knowledge at the time of training. Also, it is important, even
with the shortest, simplest test, to craft the questions deliberately.
Every test should have questions that show knowledge of when to wear a
dosimeter, what areas not to enter, who to call if there is a problem, etc.
If the trainee misses a question, always tell the trainee the correct
answer and have the trainee initial next to the missed question to
acknowledge receiving the correct answer. This way, if a worker later
claims he wasn't trained on that subject ("the training didn't cover it",
or "they didn't say anything about it in the class I attended"), you can
produce the test paper on which he gave (or ackowledged receiving) the
correct answers.

A training program has adual obligation: 1) it must provide the trainees
with the information needed to work safely, and 2) it should show that the
company providing the training met obligation number 1.

Bob Flood
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
(415) 926-3793     bflood@slac.stanford.edu
Unless otherwise noted, all opinions are mine alone.