Re: Documentation of training for ancillary personnel

While there is, obviously, no perfect test, questions 1 and 2, regarding
whether a test is fair and provides a valid indication of tested knowledge and
skills, can be addressed with established test validation techniques.  For
those who fail, the organization should have an established "remediation"
plan.  This could involve additional training followed by another exam.  At
some point, the process should be terminated and the candidate declared
"untrainable," if he cannot pass with a reaonable number of attempts.  To
address the question of how to assure that someone is knowledgable regarding
the questions he missed, it is a good practice to have each trainee who
achieves a passing, but less than perfect score review the questions missed
and the correct answers, have an opportunity to ask questions, and then sign a
statement that he understands the correct answers to those questions.  It
should be noted that for some tasks, it may be appropriate to require a
perfect score on the exam.

Here's to a risk free world, and other fantasies.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@detroitedison.com

>The highest level would be to test after
>training to document that each person understands what to do.
>  My goal is to ensure adequate training and documentation without going to
>overkill. I'd appreciate comments on what you might be doing in this area.

In the DOE world, 10CFR835.901 requires an examination for everyone who is
permitted unescorted access into a Controlled Area.

While I believe in tests as a good learning tool, there are some
difficulties with using tests to demonstrate a safe level of knowledge,
e.g.
1. Is the test equally fair to all categories of worker?
2. Does the ability to answer a test question really demonstrate understanding?
3. What do you do with those who fail?
4. If someone passes with a score of 80%, does this demonstrate a lack of
understanding of 20% of the material?

"Shlala gashle" (Zulu greeting, meaning "Stay safe")
mike (mcnaught@LANL.GOV)