Re: Documentation of training for ancillary personnel

I agree with both Kent and Mike with respect to the requirements of
Part 19 and 20 with respect to documentation. My only comment is that
one should evaluate whether they are willing only to achieve what
meets the letter of the law, or, the intent. We could all do less and
meet the regulatory requirements. The real question is, how much risk
are you willing to assume? The regulations will not keep you out of
litigation, nor will the NRC stand next to you on the witness stand,
or a State regulator, for that matter. I think having the paperwork
of what was presented and a signature is a must. The testing, well,
that is the perrogative of the facility. Just depends on what
materials you bring with you when you "potenbtially" end up in
litigation. I hope this doesn't sound like "The sky is falling." I am
only relating what I have found to be the trend in the nuclear
industry .. litigation is there .. it's only a matter of time until
you get caught in it's ugly web. Doesn't matter if you win, it will
still cost a facility millions to even have a case thrown out. Costs
more if you lose.

------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director
ICN Dosimetry Division
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Office: (800) 548-5100 x2306
Fax:    (714) 668-3149

mailto:sandyfl@ix.netcom.com
mailto:sperle@icnpharm.com

Personal Homepages:
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/1205 (primary)
http://www.netcom.com/~sandyfl/home.html (secondary)

"The object of opening the mind as of opening
the mouth is to close it again on something solid"
              - G. K. Chesterton -