Worker Deficiency in Respirators -Reply

Brian:
Here at Millstone they based their program partly from info obtained from A.T.
Johnson,  C.M. Grove and R.A. Weiss,  "Respirator Performance Rating Tables For
Nontemperate Environments"  (Am. Ind. Hyg. Assoc. Journal (53), Sep 1992, pp.
548-555)

We also input the following contributing factors:
1-experience or 'comfort level' of the individuals regarding use of respirators
2-experience and skill level of the individual with respect to the task
3-complexity of the task
4-baseline time to perform the task
5-work area accessibility
6-dependence of task performance on the ability to communicate efficiently
7-ambient temperature in the work area

As I stated in the earlier E-mail we take these situations on a case by case
basis.  We rely heavily on the worker's input and HP's that have been in the
business long enough to see all these different tasks through a respirator lens
themselves.

If you need anything else let me know.

Ron Shepherd     Radiation Safety Coordinator  Millstone Station

>>> <Brian_L_Killand@RL.gov> 06/10/97 01:53pm >>>
     Dear Radsafers,

     I am looking for a reference that estimates the decrease in a worker's
     efficiency while wearing respiratory protection.  One source indicates
     that the time needed to finish work is increased by between 20 to 25%.
     I am developing a training module addressing ALARA consideration for
     respirator use.

     Please respond to me directly at:

     brian_l_killand@rl.gov

     Takk!