RE: Health Rating - NFPA

I have found that fire marshals (and almost everyone else involved in
emergency preparedness) are very willing to discuss these issues
provided we elicit and acknowledge their needs and show how we can help
them meet those needs.

In general, emergency responders have been given virtually no useful
information about radiation and radioactive materials, yet they have the
responsibility for responding to emergencies where these hazards are
present. Their goal is to protect the responder, THEN deal with the
situation. This usually results in training that says "If you don't
know, back out until you do."

I can think of two things to do which I have found very successful.

1) Take the time to evaluate the possible accidents in the bunker (fire,
corrosive chemical spills, etc.) and the effect on the integrity of the
sources and shielding (if any). Try to determine maximum practical
radiation and contamination levels, potential doses to exposed protected
and unprotected personnel and minimum boundaries to establish for a "hot
line".

2)  Explain your assessment to the fire marshal and be prepared to
answer questions about dose and dose effects. Include information on how
to monitor for any hazards that might exist and to modify their normal
response procedure. Phone numbers for state radiation emergency teams
and the site RSO are extremely helpful. It might also be useful to set
up a preliminary meeting to ask the fire marshal what he needs from such
an assessment in order to feel comfortable.

Rick Edwards, Analyst

The Boeing Company, Radiation Protection Technical Services Group
(425) 393-8250