Re: PI with I-131 Treatment and Immediate Return to Work

Franz Schoenhofer stated:

> Just a very cautious questions: Do you really think that this is
> "government" or other similar organisations which want to reduce the
> limits? This is not a scientific question, it is a political one. And when
> the dose limits for "additional dose rates" will have been reduced to one
> thousands of natural doserate, there will still be some (green) groups
> which will demand a further reduction to save the planet....

It is actually a combination of both. I agree that the issue is more
political than scientific. There is much scientific evidence that
states that the concerns regarding exposure to ionizing radiation
have been grossly exaggerated. Regulations on the other hand are
established at levels far below those considered to be excessive. So,
I would assume more of the blame is placed on governments for caving
into the demands and desires of these "green" groups, be the fringe,
or, be it the NCRP and ICRP. In the end, all of these groups are
causing the same resultant problems we all face today, when it comes
to logical radiation protection regulations and implementation of
such programs.

------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director