Re: Iodine capsules and radiophobia

David Scherer wrote:

> On another point I will be more blunt.  The assertion that patients are not
> harmed by therapeutic dosages of radioiodine is pattently absurd.  These
> treatments produce NONstochastic effects on thyroid function.  That's why
> they are administered!

I grok "blunt."  But - sure, that's why they are administered.  However,
the end result is not harm, but cure of a dangerous disease.  The
malfunctioning organ is destroyed (or partially destroyed) on purpose.
The rest of the patient is OK.  Maybe all we are taking about here is
the definition of "harm."  When I or anyone else says: "there is no harm
to the patient from theraputic doses of radionuclied," we mean, I think,
there is no harm to the rest of the parts of a patient that are not the
target of the radioactive material.  If this is not correct, please
advise.  Thanks.  Al Tschaeche, CHP antatnsu@pacbell.net