Re: Iodine capsules and radiophobia

Al Tschaeche wrote:
>  When I or anyone else says: "there is no harm
> to the patient from theraputic doses of radionuclied," we mean, I think,
> there is no harm to the rest of the parts of a patient that are not the
> target of the radioactive material.  If this is not correct, please
> advise.  Thanks.

Most of the patients who receive radioiodine therapy are elderly,
therefore there is limited useful follow-up data on cancer incidence
within this patient group. However the UNSCEAR 1994 report makes
reference to a UK study which indicates significant increases (over a ten
year period) for leukaemia, breast, and bladder cancer for a group of 258
patients (OK it's a small group).

Interestingly Amersham Int., who supply these therapy capsules, list
persons under the age of 40, as a contra-indication. Also therapy doses
are known in some cases to deplete bone marrow activity.

However the therapeutic benefit is undeniable.

                  ********

On the subject of the contaminated pipes - sure irrational radiation
protection, but it's irrational fears that we're dealing with. The public
just don't believe you!

Andy H
Charing Cross Hospital UK
a.hancock@cxwms.ac.uk

P.S. I think you've got the whole ALARA & ICRP dose limits thing
a little misinterpreted. I refer you to ICRP 60 paras 112 & 124.